The purpose of this Urban Renewal Plan is to eliminate blighting influences found in the Tillamook Urban Renewal Area, to implement goals and objectives of the Tillamook Comprehensive Plan, and to support the continued development of the plan area as a safe, clean, and affordable mixed-use community.
Goal One: Promote private development to increase the City’s economic base
• Improve the ratio of profitable business to residential growth within the City and immediate area surrounding the district.
• Improve streets, streetscapes, parks, and public buildings and spaces to enhance investment and development of existing commercial areas within the City and district.
• Assist property owners in rehabilitating existing buildings and property to accommodate more profitable and alluring commercial businesses.
• Increase the number of family wage jobs within the district.
• Help create economic vitality by promoting and creating activities and encouraging uses that bring a significant amount of new business activity and new people into the downtown area.
• Support and assist in implementing the City’s Comprehensive & Town Center Plans.
Goal Two: Improve and retain existing profitable businesses
• Entice private investments in new development and redevelopment in the commercial area of the district.
• Encourage retention and expansion of profitable businesses within the commercial areas of the district.
• Support and assist in implementing the City’s Comprehensive and Town Center plans.
Goal Three: Provide efficient, safe, and effective streets, streetscapes and open spaces
• Enhance streetscapes by installing street lighting, street furniture, banners, planters, and other amenities.
• Reconstruct existing roadways and sidewalks where needed and in a manner meeting the objectives of the Plan.
• Construct new streets to provide connectivity and encourage private investment.
• Address and improve pedestrian safety on Main and Pacific Avenues.
• Improve pedestrian and bicycle access to and through the renewal area.
• Create pedestrian spaces that are attractive areas for residents and employees that stimulate economic activity and enhance livability.
• Construct or reconstruct utilities (including electrical, water, sewer, and storm sewer) as necessary to encourage and permit development of private properties and public amenities.
Goal Four: Maintain, remodel, and construct public parks and open spaces, public facilities and public safety facilities to maintain and enhance safety in the renewal area and increase public utilization of the renewal area
• Evaluate the adequacy of public facilities serving the renewal area.
• Repair, improve, or construct new public facilities to enable appropriate service within the renewal area.
• Develop convenient, attractive parking facilities close to shopping, entertainment, and business destinations.
• Improve or construct public parking facilities to support profitable business and activities in the area.
Goal Five: Upgrade and repair existing buildings within the renewal area
• Improve the appearance of existing buildings in order to enhance the overall aesthetics of the renewal plan.
• Repair and improve existing historical buildings for architectural continuity and a revitalized appearance.
• Improve the safety of older buildings in regard to seismic stability, fire safety, building code compliance and accessibility to persons with disabilities by repairing or upgrading existing buildings to current code.
• Promote the redevelopment of existing buildings and areas that are inconsistent with the goals and objectives of this Plan in manners that benefit the entire economic development effort and the property owners.
Goal Six: Provide for new housing units that collectively reflect a diversity of housing types, occupancy (rental and owner occupied) and income levels in the City
• Provide a wide range of housing opportunities to accommodate households at all income levels, including low income, moderate-income, and market rate rental and owner-occupied housing which support prospective residential markets in, adjacent to, and near the area.
• Provide assistance to help maintain and assist in the rehabilitation of the stock of existing housing in the renewal area.
• Assist in the development of quality housing for a range of household incomes that are representative of the City as a whole.
• Rehabilitate existing housing stock.
The above information is from the Tillamook Urban Renewal Plan Amended June 18, 2012. A full copy of the TURA Plan can be viewed at www.tillamookor.gov/urban-renewal.